Written instructions below
(there is an obvious burn risk with this project. You could also loose an eye. )
- put on some safety goggles and gloves THESE ARE THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS I USE BUT MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT.
- wrap a string around a wine bottle two or three times and then tie it. I used kitchen string that you use wrapping meat.
- fill a pot with cold water.
- soak the string in Acetone , nail polish remover, and put it around the bottle. (presumably other flammables could work for this but I have not tried them. White gas, gasoline, rubbing alcohol..... I make no claims to the safety of this)
- light the string and rotate is as shown in the video.
- quickly put the bottle in the water when the acetone is about to go out.
- you may need to try a few times.
- this is not a good technique for making drinking glasses because the cut is not that clean. for a cleaner cut check out: How to cut wine bottles with a dremel tool, How to cut beer bottles with a dremel tool
This is the technique I used to make the hydroponic zucchini planter from a wine bottle in this post:
Wine bottle hydroponic zucchini
Wine bottle hydroponic mint and basil
Consider adding a design. Check out my post on how to Etch Glass without using stencils.
Other things people make out of bottles include: Drinking glasses, lamps, wine bottle planter.