Thursday, April 23, 2009

How to cut a wine bottle with acetone and a string

share to facebook button

Written instructions below


(there is an obvious burn risk with this project. You could also loose an eye. )wine bottle that was cut with acetone and a string
  • put on some safety goggles and gloves THESE ARE THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS I USE BUT MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT.
  • wrap a string around a wine bottle two or three times and then tie it. I used kitchen string that you use wrapping meat.
  • fill a pot with cold water.
  • soak the string in Acetone , nail polish remover, and put it around the bottle. (presumably other flammables could work for this but I have not tried them. White gas, gasoline, rubbing alcohol..... I make no claims to the safety of this)
  • light the string and rotate is as shown in the video.
  • quickly put the bottle in the water when the acetone is about to go out.
  • you may need to try a few times.
  • this is not a good technique for making drinking glasses because the cut is not that clean. for a cleaner cut check out: How to cut wine bottles with a dremel tool, How to cut beer bottles with a dremel tool

NOW WHAT
This is the technique I used to make the hydroponic zucchini planter from a wine bottle in this post:wine bottle planter

Wine bottle hydroponic zucchini


Wine bottle hydroponic mint and basil


Consider adding a design. Check out my post on how to Etch Glass without using stencils.

Other things people make out of bottles include: Drinking glasses, lamps, wine bottle planter.



share to facebook button

22 comments:

  1. I tried this earlier today with a friend as a science experiment. I must say, once we got the hang of it, it worked perfectly. However, it only seemed to work on beer bottles rather than wine bottles. I'm assuming it was because of the thickness. Either way, it was a fun project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely easier with thinner bottles. but can be done with wine bottles. I have had different rates of success with different types of string. But I am not yet sure what is best as I have mostly moved to using the dremel tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey so my boyfriend and i have been trying to make some planters out of wine bottle by cutting the glass ,so we thought we try you mehtod and it works pretty good . For the thicker bottles we had to use alot more string !!! Also we notice make sure to cut all the extra string at the knot as close as possible, because it will crack there:) . Anyways great idea thanks so much !! How about ne thing to make the edges super smooth??

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dremel tool method cuts a little cleaner. you can also sand the edges to smooth them or heat the edges with a blowtorch to smooth them. gonna post some photos of these methods later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. any particular type of string that works best??

    ReplyDelete
  6. what works best? i don't know. I do know that the string you buy at the grocery store for tieing meat works fine that is what I used. anything that can absorb a good amount of fluid. look for string that would make a good wick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I had zero success with cotton string... But then I tried some wool yarn and that was amazing. The flames shot up a lot higher, and the string stayed lit a little longer... enough to break the wine bottle I was working on. I'm rather pleased. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried this method any part of the bottle besides the top (bottom or sides)??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not. I have doubts about getting a clean cut on the top skinny part. I assume any circumfrential cut through the main area would work the same though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will try this. I have a glass grinder and that will take off the rough edge. My glass file will too. Thanks for sharing the video.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please tell me how the glass grinder works for you. I am tempted to get one. Also for a better cut I suggest the dremel tool method over this one. This one is more fun but not nearly as clean a cut. Thanks for reading!

    http://mike-is-bored.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-cut-wine-bottles-with-dremel.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking for a project to do with wine bottles and here it is! Looks so cool but how about the bottom part of the wine bottle (where it is thicker) can the same method be used ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. should a hole be poked in the bottom of the bottle if you want to use it as a planter?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could not get this to work. Tried many many times and it never even cracked. I am disappointed , but might try it again or look for some tips

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was very surprised to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two changes that made a world of difference for me:

    1) Braiding the twine so it's denser and covers less surface area (made a MUCH more precise line!)

    2) Substituing 91% isopropyl alcohol for acetone -- burned hotter and longer

    Just be sure to remove the glass from the water as soon as it breaks -- the slower the surrounding glass can cool back to room temperature, the less chance of cracks extending down into the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just tried this with garden twine no break?!?! How please can I get it to break how long do we soak the twine for ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enormous website along with attractive and exclusive materials whatever you need.
    is bubblegum casting legitimate

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really a nice blog, I found it very useful.

    buy instagram followers

    ReplyDelete


  20. In Chau Long We are proud to bring our customers the products of printing paper bags, printing paper boxes, printing catalogs, printing directories, printing leaflets, high quality printing leaflets, reasonable prices and Meet all requirements for the customer's process set.

    In vỏ hộp đựng giày

    In hộp đựng rượu

    in vỏ hộp

    in offset hà nội


    ReplyDelete

i'm not here right now but leave a message and i will get back to you as soon as possible.