Saturday, June 27, 2009

Growing my own wheat for beer (or maybe ravioli)


I started by sprouting the seeds in a cookie tray covered in damp newspaper and wrapped in a garbage bag for about seven days.


here is the wheat starting to come up as wheat grass.


I started the wheat in pots indoors but then moved it outside. here it is forming seeds.



Over time the wheat gets dry.

Here it is post harvest. This is about half the total.


I think I will thresh in a couple week so for now the wheat is decorative. The 1/2lb package likely made about as much seed as I started with so no big gain there. I will update when I thresh and cook or brew with it.

This is the kind of wheat I used and a couple barley grass links for those of you who want to give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. I think this stuff has every single detail that makes it a very interesting affair to read about, Moreover, this information is pretty well written. In a nutshell, greatly well done piece of column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nicely planned weblog. You have gained a new reader. Thanks man love it.

    ReplyDelete

i'm not here right now but leave a message and i will get back to you as soon as possible.